nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Qos PipeDream [Was: RE: Two Tiered Internet]

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:39:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, John Kristoff wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:29:29 +0000 (GMT)
"Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com> wrote:

In my experience that is easier said than done.  However, you remind
me of what I think is what most who say they want QoS are really
after. DoS protection.  By focusing on DoS mitigation instead of
trying to provide service differentiation, things begin to make more
sense and actually become much more practical and deployable.

how does qos help with a dos attack?

My point is that it's not QoS, it's DoS mitigation.  Whatever that
means to you, that is the solution I think most people may ultimately
be looking for when they say they want QoS.

ah-ha! and here I thought they wanted buzzword compliance :) From what
sales/customers say it seems like they have a perception that 'qos will
let me use MORE of my too-small pipe' (or not spend as fast on more pipe)
more than anything else.