nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server

From: Joe Abley <jabley () isc org>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:22:40 -0500

On 14-Dec-2005, at 11:52, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

        currently in the middle of such a safe, conservative
        transition leads me to believe that there will -NEVER-
        be a point w/ there are no queries to the old address.
        (he says, 24 months into a transition...)

It's probably reasonable to say that there are more historical instances of B's address being hard-coded than there are for Eric's authority server, though (and I'm guessing that he also doesn't have to answer priming queries :-)

        The right
        tactic is to make the change, based on 2x the TTL of the SOA.

Joe