nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two Tiered Internet

From: Joe McGuckin <joe () via net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:12:31 -0800

Sean,

I think you are skirting the real issue here.

Prioritizing traffic in order to provide reliable transport for isochronous
services is one thing; Using QoS features to de-prioritize traffic from a
competitor or a company who refuses to pay to access your customers is
something completely different.

These are not just paranoid ravings from the tin-foil brigades: two telecom
CEO's have recently floated trial balloons proposing exactly this scenario.

What good is 6Mbit DSL from my ISP (say, SBC for example) if only a small
portion of the net (sites that pay for non-degraded access) loads at a
reasonable speed and everything else sucks?

Joe