nanog mailing list archives

Re: Phone networks struggle in Hurricane Katrina's wake

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:12:51 -0400

"In this age of cheap commoditized consumer electronics and
advanced mobile technology, why can't all the people of a city make
contact during an emergency?

Simple: it's too expensive.

Keep this in mind when trading in your POTS service for VoIP service
over the internet. Discounting the local loop which is often the
same in both cases, POTS is extremely reliable while VoIP over the
public internet, well, isn't. But apparently people that switch to
VoIP don't mind the reduced likelihood of being able to make calls
during the next large scale emergency.

Yes!  I agree 100%.   The key words in that above statement were
"cheap commoditized." The reason satellite phones work in big
disaster areas (other than the fact  that the entire infrastructure
in the affected area is comprised of a  solar powered satellite and a
subscriber's hand set with a remote base station(s) somewhere else in
the world) is simple;   not everyone and their cousin has one to use.

Did I miss the memo announcing the Slashdot commentary section had been
extended to the NANOG mailing list? It is one thing to expand on a story
with useful insights, but this entire thread is just restating the obvious
for the sake of hearing your own voice (or the digital equivalent
thereof). If I wanted to read the uninformed reactions of random people to
random news stories wondering why cell phone circuits fill up during
natural disasters I would go to slashdot and click "Read More...". This
stuff doesn't even come close to being NANOG worthy, let alone on-topic or
appropriate.

Note: nothing personal to those being quoted.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras