nanog mailing list archives

Re: Order of ASes in the BGP Path

From: Abhishek Verma <abhishekv.verma () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:35:06 +0530

Since i smell some traces of sarcasm here.

On 8/30/05, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

I thank everyone who took time off their busy schedules and answered me
on
this. I now understand that people do look at the AS_PATH and the order
of
ASes is important for debugging, etc.

and thank you for reading the rfc

 Randy,
 I respect your knowledge and wisdom and that of other people on this list
here which is why i asked this question. Yes, i have gone through the RFC
1771 throughly and trust me it does not mention any other use of this Path
attribute, except for the path length/loop detection. People on this list
have a *lot* of experience and its these people who actually use this
protocol.
 To me these were the best people to tell me if they indeed use it for other
purposes also.
 Thanks,
Abhishek

randy