nanog mailing list archives

Re: 4-Byte AS Number soon to come?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:55:45 -0400

In message <C4572125-356D-49B9-BE24-AA55B1C014E7 () muada com>, Iljitsch van Beijn
um writes:

On 23-aug-2005, at 15:16, Paul Jakma wrote:

then i would prefer going ahead with the new solution and picking
it up if it works!

Well, in order to justify the hassle of invalidating existing
implementations of the draft as it stands, I suspect there'd need
to be sufficient examples of real-world problems with passive BGP
'readers' to get consensus in IDR to change.

This is exactly why people shouldn't implement drafts except possibly
as a private in-house feasibility study.

In general, you're right; however, BGP documents have a special status.
Because of how crucial BGP is to the Internet's functioning, I-Ds won't
progress to RFC status (at least as Proposed Standard) without two
interoperating implementations.  For everything else, you're right.