nanog mailing list archives

Re: Semi-on-topic: Light that travels faster than the speed of light?

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:27:30 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

I doubt they are exceeding the speed of light.  Propogation delay inside
fiber is about 2/3 the speed of light so perhaps they have succeeded to
increase the speed to 3/4? :-)

-Hank

Man, I knew I should've gotten in on the ground floor in
 any effort to speed up light -- someone's going to be
rich beyond their wildest dreams. :-)

(Thanks to a post over at Slashdot) the Science Blog
reports that:

[snip]

A team of researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique F?d?rale de Lausanne (EPFL) has successfully demonstrated, for the
first time, that it is possible to control the speed of light ? both slowing it down and speeding it up ? in an
optical fiber, using off-the-shelf instrumentation in normal environmental conditions. Their results, to be published
in the August 22 issue of Applied Physics Letters, could have implications that range from optical computing to the
fiber-optic telecommunications industry.

[snip]

http://www.scienceblog.com/light.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net