nanog mailing list archives

Re: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

From: Lou Katz <lou () metron com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:11:16 -0700

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 02:20:59PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Robert Bonomi" <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
[ attribution to me missing ]
That's why some states (e.g. Texas) require that all toll calls be
dialed as 1+ _regardless of area code_, and local calls cannot be
dialed as 1+.  If you dial a number wrong, you get a message telling
you how to do it properly (and why).

In some places that "solution" is _not_practical_.  As in where the same
three digit sequence is in use as a C.O. 'prefix', *and* as an areacode.
(an where, in some 'perverse' situations, the foreign area-code is a
'non-toll' call, yet the bare prefix within the areacode is a toll call.

We don't have that problem because all nearby area codes are reserved as
prefixes.  For instance, if 214 and 817 are nearby, there exist no 214-817
or 817-214 numbers (or 214-214 or 817-817).  Duh?

Not here! I have a 510-530-887X number. They assigned 530 as an area code
to an area around Sacramento, not far from here. That region uses the 887
prefix, so I get LOTS of wrong numbers where they forgot to dial the 1.

Fooey.
--
-=[L]=-