nanog mailing list archives

Re: fcc ruling on dsl providers' access to infrastructure

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:29:39 -0400

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:20:19PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
Clearly this is a special situation where there is a natural monopoly
given to whomever runs the wires. Maybe what we need is a certain class of
company who will be responsible for running and maintaining the public
data infrastructures. They could have lots of government regulations to
ensure that they are charging a "fair" price while still being guaranteed
a profit, and they could provide the last mile service for all those ISPs
out there who are the ones that can actually compete and innovate. We
could call them telcos, and... oh wait, nevermind.

I believe you've mispronounced:

municipalities.

Oh, wait: Congress wants to outlaw *that*, too.

Cheers,
-- jr 'Second American Revolution?' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me