nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDoS attacks, spoofed source addresses and adjusted TTLs

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:55:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Mike Tancsa wrote:

I had a DDoS this morning (~ 130Mb) against one of my hosts. Packets were
coming in all 3 of my transit links from a handful of source IP addresses
that sort of make sense in terms of the path they would take to get to
me.  They were all large UDP packets of the form

in reality almost no udp floods are spoofed, save dns-smurf attacks... so
you probably saw legit hosts sending bad packets.

The TTLs all kind of make sense and are consistent (e.g. if the host is 8
hops away, the TTL of the packet when it got to me was 56).  Yes, I know
those could be adjusted in theory to mask multiple sources, but in practice
has anyone seen that ? I seem to recall reading the majority of DDoS
attacks do not come from spoofed source IP addresses.

depends on the protocol, attacker and tools at their disposal most likely.
I can say we see more non-spoofed than spoofed these days. (go botland
go!)

what exactly was the question?