nanog mailing list archives

cable management systems

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:17:32 -0500 (EST)

I've been tasked with evaluating cable management software systems for my employer. I work for a large university with 30-35,000 phones and roughly as many computers spread across 100+ buildings in 5 campuses, with substantial copper, coax, and fiber plants.

That said, I'm much more interested in peoples' real-world experiences
using CMS software packages in large multi-building environments than I
am in vendor marketing materials.   Feel free to respond to me off-list
if you like.

If you use some type of CMS package, did you buy it or built it in-house?

Does it integrate with your existing workflow/trouble ticketing systems?

Does it integrate with your existing network management/monitoring tools?

What processes do you have in place to make sure moves/adds/changes (MACs) are processed through the CMS all the time, every time? There could be both technical and procedural/policy components to this. A CMS with stale data is often worse than having no CMS at all.

If you are a CMS software vendor, you may contact me off-list.

jms