nanog mailing list archives

Re: using TCP53 for DNS

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:01:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Patrick W. Gilmore:
At least one DoS mitigation box uses TCP53 to "protect" name
servers.  Personally I thought this was a pretty slick trick, but it
appears to have caused a lot of problems.  From the thread (certainly
not a scientific sampling), many people seem to be filtering port 53
TCP to their name servers.

"To their name servers"?  I think you mean "from their caching
resolvers to 53/TCP on other hosts".

its a both directions thing. Some folks dropped tcp/53 TO their AUTH
servers to protect against AXFR's from folks not their normal secondaries.
Obviously this is from before bind8+'s capability to acl. Even after I
imagine that folks left the filters in place either 'because' or 'I don't
run router acls' or 'laziness'....

Is this common?

Hopefully not.  Resolvers MUST be able to make TCP connections to
other name servers.

It seems that what might be more common is resolver code not handling the
truncate request properly :( That seemed to be the majority of the
problems last time we ran into this problem :(

-Chris