nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

From: James <haesu () towardex com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:29:52 -0400

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:55:23PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

On Apr 20, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

Or don't.  No one here cares if you do.  Reality trumps lab tests.

"Reality" for the last ten years has been that no one did either PPLB
or TCP DNS. That reality is changing. It'll probably start to change
faster, sooner. Then, users will start to notice the problems.

People have been using TCP applications on anycast for at least a
decade, as I mentioned before.  Since DNS responses tend to be very
short lived TCP session, it seems to me that if it works for other
applications (e.g. HTTP), it should work for DNS.

I don't know of any HTTP servers that do anycast.  But their failure to
take account of PPLB doesn't change anything. IF they are anycasting under
false assumptions, they'll have problems, too.

Remember that anycast configuration does not always require upper layer
applications to specifically support "anycast featureset."  It can be done
in a setup similar to those currently being done with stateless/DNS, where
it is dependent of how you want to route your packets to anycast listener
address.

Just make sure your routing between anycasting nodes and requesting node
can actually deliver a clear picture, and it shouldn't be much of an issue
for the majority :)

-J

--
James Jun