nanog mailing list archives

RE: cost of doing business (was:Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent)

From: "Malayter, Christopher" <Christopher.Malayter () tdstelecom com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:24:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike () swm pp se]
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:55 PM
To: Randy Bush
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: cost of doing business (was:Re: OpenTransit
(france telecom) depeers cogent)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

fwiw, 100mb to the home costs about that in japan

Well, I dont really see the average home actually using
100meg all the
time in the near future, thus my 5 meg utilization average estimate.
Access could be whatever speed of course, access speed not
used doesn't
cost very much.

I think you're very wrong here.  For packet delivery of video based
services, I could see a home using 100mb/s between voice, video, and data
within the next 12-24 months.  All of the product roadmaps I've been looking
at contain "How to get 100mb/s to the home", "How do we push BRAS/Multicast
deployment closer to the edge", "What is the roadmap for converged services
past triple play?"

Regards,

Chris Malayter
TDS Telecom - Network Services