nanog mailing list archives

Re: Service providers that NAT their whole network?

From: Steve Meuse <smeuse () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:27:10 -0600

On 4/15/05, Philip Matthews <matthews () nimcatnetworks com> wrote:

I am trying to get a handle on how common this practice is.
No one that I have asked seems to know any provider that does this,
and a search of a few FAQs plus about an hour of Googling hasn't
turned up anything definite (but maybe I am using the wrong keywords ...).

There was a MA based provided that catered towards municipalities that
did this. I was a volunteer on our local IT comittee and was shocked
to see this in action :)

After a few requests they eventually did assign a public address to
the router, but I think it was SOP to NAT everything.

-Steve