nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

From: Bill Nash <billn () billn net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:28:01 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

I understand the woes of mixing 911 and VoIP myself, although I'm not a
Vonage user.  The VoIP phone on my desk connects 911 calls to the Vancouver,
BC, PSAP (since it's off a PBX at work), but I also know the direct-dial
number for the local Dallas, TX, PSAP -- the emergency line, not the
"administrative" line that Vonage uses -- and if I bothered, I could easily
set the PBX to reroute 911 there instead.  Location information is tougher,
but I have to tell the operator my location on a cell phone too, so it's not
a deal-killer.

It kinda makes you wonder how people contacted the police in the early 80s, completely discounting that people had even conceived of the notion of 'emergency' before the 70s.

When I was a kid, I was made to memorize my home address, my phone number, an emergency contact number, and the local police number. 911, while a great idea, is a classic example of the desire to let technology replace basic common sense.

        I don't mean to get off on a rant here..

- billn