nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 06:56:11 +0530

On Apr 5, 2005 2:18 AM, Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:
* Suresh Ramasubramanian:

Find them, isolate them into what some providers call a "walled
garden" - vlan them into their own segment from where all they can
access are antivirus / service pack downloads

Service pack downloads?  Do you expect ISPs to pirate Windows (or
large parts thereof)?  Or has Microsoft finally seen the light?

I do believe I heard somewhere about ISPs bundling a pack of free AV /
spyware remover tools with their install CD - AVG and such.

However when it comes to allowing downloads, I guess something like
cisco's NBAR would help even if it were offsite downloads - these URLs
/ URL regexes are allowed, the rest are not, at least till the user
disinfects his PC.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)