nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: dlr () bungi com (Dave Rand)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:27:09 -0700

[In the message entitled "Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden" on Apr 29, 17:23, "Steven J. Sobol" writes:]
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Dave Rand wrote:

Dunno what a ton of ISP buy-in is, but the MAPS DUL now contains about
190,000,000 entries.  We've been working on it very hard for the last year or
two.  Most ISP-level subscribers figure it stops a pretty large percentage of
the compromised-home-computer spam.

Well, that's it then: "for the last year or two" - I don't recall a lot of
entries being on the DUL in its original incarnation. (Not for lack of
trying.)

I'm sure there was more than one reason that it was not as large as it is
today.

Regardless, it's here, it's effective, and it is very widely used.