nanog mailing list archives

Re: PAIX Outages

From: Alexander Koch <koch () tiscali net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:31:36 +0200

On Fri, 29 April 2005 13:24:06 +0100, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
With public peering you simply never know how much spare
capacity your peer has free.

So? That doesn't make public peering bad, you don't know that
for PI or transit either

For PI I know how much spare I have towards them, taking for
granted they can move the traffic. Which is the case in 99%
for all our peers currently that we have privates with. And
they can better move the traffic... and if not one tells the
other normally and things can be done.

And would you expect your
peer with 400 Mbit/s total to have 400 reserved on his AMSIX
port for you when you see 300 at LINX and LINX goes down?

Yes and more fool you if they have and you haven't

This was not about 'my' or 'our' side, believe me...

Alexander