nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:12:25 -0700

You're absolutely right. I submit that if the US government wants
location information for VoIP 911 calls, they should create an
infrastructure that allows people to determine their location. Your
example shows that this infrastructure should also be available  outside
the US. Maybe a satellite network that continuously transmit  location
beacon information which can be used to triangulate one's  location would
do the trick?

I submit that I don't necessarily want my communications device or my
location tracked at all times by the government.  My point is not the
need for location, but, that it is impractical to reliably implement
the traditional 911 model for VOIP.

The traditional 911 model depends on being able to make determination
of at least a roughly correct 911 service provider based on connection
point.  (Cell site, telco central office, service location, etc.).

None of these are available for many VOIP services.  I think that if
the focus were on delivering 911 service for fixed-location VOIP
systems, it would make much more sense.  However, the FCC, so far,
does not seem to understand that this distinction is possible or
relevant.

Owen