nanog mailing list archives

Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:34:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:

Besides which, your exmple of parallel [and identical] networks shows that there are dumb things to be found in trying to maintain artifical competition in a non-competitive environment.

Yes, of course there are plenty of examples of dumb things being done, but on the other hand I disagree with your example that the US is inventing everything, well, unless you didn't mean to imply that you use it as well. I attenced a Ethernet in the first mile seminar at N+I last year, and sitting there listening to US telcos saying that ethernet might work was just fascinating. The rest of the world has been doing this for years.

Also, look at where implementation of high-speed local access is being done, it's not in the US anyway.

If the PTTs can sit on their access networks without regulation, there will be no competition in the access, and then the market comes to a standstill because building new access networks costs an arm and a leg, especially if right-of-way is hard to come by and you have to negotiate with every land-owner on the way.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se