nanog mailing list archives

Re: short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS

From: Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:13:49 +0300

Gadi Evron wrote:

Problem is, we are a fighting a war we already lost. It's put out a fire here and there, and break a wave while you're at it.

How about seeing some simple measures such as blocking outgoing port 25? at ISP's? Not a perfect solution, but it's a partial solution for some of the problems. Combined with other solutions we could start seeing a change.

Blocking ports one by one and filling the Internet by application level proxies (SMTP gateways for port 25) is not a road worth travelling.

Pete