nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:03:22 +0000

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:48:24AM +0100, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:

At 12:01 PM 10/13/04 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Trusting the source when it says that its packets aren't evil might be
sub-optimal. Evaluation of evilness is best left up to the receiver.

Likely true. Next question is whether the receiver can really determine
that in real time. For some things, yes, but for many things it is not
as
obvious to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but my interpretation of this
suggestion was not that we should trust the source to mark
packets but that we should trust our peers to mark packets.

This doesn't mean that the non-evil bit is the only way,
but the idea of network operators marking traffic in some
way to indicate their level of confidence in its normality
seems to be worth pursuing. It seems to be the natural
progression of projects like the selection found at
cymru.com.

--Michael Dillon

        ah ... so you have no problems with me marking your packets
        anyway I choose, right?  i suspect that a single tagging
        scheme will be too prone to abuse and that it will be important
        to have/allow the source to indicate its preferences.

        i am reminded of one ISP announcing 128.0.0.0/3 some time back
        based on the presumption that it could deliver any packet to the
        correct destination in that range. ... :)

--bill