nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL tarpitting?

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:56:37 -0500

At 2:26 PM -0500 11/5/04, Mark Jeftovic wrote:
had AOL tarpitting gotten quite a bit more aggressive in the last
few days?

One of the sites I run (hosted on cihost) recently started getting bad SMTP responses from AOL. We worked around by routing AOL and Compuserver mail through a gateway that cihost claims is "clean", but we haven't been able to get a clear story on why our IPs were being blocked, or how to unblock them. I had heard elsewhere that AOL is cracking down on ISPs they feel aren't keeping clean, but I don't know if that's related.