nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:06:05 +0100

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 08:56 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
Hmmm....It walks like a duck:
      Can be advertised to any v6 ISP.
Talks like a duck:
      Does not have to be returned to ISP when changing transit providers.
Floats like a duck:
      Provides globally unique v6 addresses to said organization

Must be made of wood and so it must be a witch.

I was almost expecting you to start screaming "ding dong the witch is
dead" in relation to IPv6 or something ;)

I don't care whether you want to call it PI space or not, the bottom line
is that it has all the same practical uses and effect as PI space, and,
this is exactly what the real world is likely to do with v6 for any
organization that wants to multihome without renumbering.  They'll get
an AS and they'll get a /32, and, suddenly, each department within the
company will become a "customer" of the IT-ISP department.

Fortunately there are 'only' 65k ASN's, thus that would mean only 65k
routes in the routing table, which should be quite practical. Seeing
only ~650 routes now I don't see that happening that soon, especially
with the slowness of deployment of IPv6 in the US, though it is catching
on ;). Left to wonder though what happens when we run out of ASN's,
32bit ones?

I'm not saying this is clean, friendly, nice, whatever.  However, it is
what people are really going to do with the current v6 address allocation
policies.

As those policies are decided upon by the membership, feed your input to
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/LACNIC...

Greets,
 Jeroen