nanog mailing list archives

Re: fiber cut 19 May/PM -> 20 May/AM in Ashburn, VA (lawnmower?!)

From: sgorman1 () gmu edu
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:35:52 -0400

This is from a previous thread on the topic of fiber cuts but I thought it fit this discussion well, epsecially since
it concerns Verizon.  Apologize for not being able to recall who originally posted it - only have the citation.

In an August 5th, 2003 court case involving the Maine Public Utility Commission an expert witness from Verizon stated
that only 10% of the fiber rings in Maine are fully redundant, and 90% are at least partially collapsed and vulnerable
to single cut failures (Maine PUC, 2003)

Maine PUC, 2003, “Docket Number 2002243”  http://www.state.me.us/mpuc/misctranscripts/2002-243%20080503.htm

Appears it should not be a suprise at all it was not redundant.  On a related note another researcher at GMU has
collected all the outage reports that "were" posted on the FCC website and put them in a database form, and we are
going to try and run correlations between outage location and the density of fiber located there.