nanog mailing list archives

Re: backscatter hosts

From: John Capo <jc () irbs com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:18:56 -0400

Quoting Steven Champeon (schampeo () hesketh com):

It's not really my business why a hotmail.com MX accepted mail it
couldn't deliver. I could care less /why/. It's up to hotmail to fix
their systems - I don't care how they perform that background check on
quota.

Exactly.

It's my business that over the past sixty days, we've had to reject over
23K of these, and had rejected some 130K in three weeks during March, at
the peak of the joe job. At one point, backscatter accounted for 70% of
my inbound email traffic on one host. Almost made the usual spam and
virus look like background noise.

36K backscatter rejects from hotmail yesterday but only 2K from
AOL.  AOL has really got their act together compared to hotmail,
verizon, comcast, and the like.

May 18 00:00:05 mx1 postfix/smtpd[11977]: 6F8F315DC0: reject: RCPT from mc1-s21.bay6.hotmail.com[65.54.163.161]: 550
<xjlljuzisexmj () tuffmail co uk>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown; Probably forged by Alan Ralsky; from=<>
to=<xjlljuzisexmj () tuffmail co uk> proto=ESMTP helo=<mc1-s21.hotmail.com>

It was 80K daily from hotmail till I dropped the MX records for 4
of the domains being forged.  If anyone would like to test their
capability to reject 1+ million a day I can point the MX records
to your servers. :-)

John Capo
Tuffmail.com