nanog mailing list archives

Re: CiSCO IOS 12.* source code stolen

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:41:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

May be, it is a good idea - to release old (say, 10.0) IOS sources for the
colleges. It will allow them to practice in the hardware design
amd protocol implementation, using solid base of Cisco IOS.

Or hand it over to the OpenBSD guys so they can just port to Cisco
hardware. :)

Charles

Even old, 10.0 IOS, is enough for this purpose.

Hi,

  What makes me excited at this news is, is there a chance to learn
details of IOS
which may be one of most successful protocol implementations. And, if such
code is
available to both college and engineers it will surelly do good to our
life.

  So, I'll be glad to see the releasing of those codes as what happened to
Microsoft.

Joe

Some years ago I was arguing with my then department head (whom I have
the greatest respect for, it should be said) at Cisco that IOS should
be turned open source. Needless to say, the suggestion was met with
"some" resistance, mildly speaking.

---- Msg sent via Spymac Mail - http://www.spymac.com