nanog mailing list archives

RE: What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 13:39:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Steve Gibbard <scg () gibbard org> wrote:

If a few of you can stop being so pedantic for a
second, the definition
looks pretty easy to me: traffic unlikely to be
wanted by the recipient.
Presumably, if it's being sent that means somebody
wanted to send it, so
the senders' desires are a pretty meaningless
metric.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with this statement.  What
about the traffic from compromised sources?  The pps
floods or spam emails are not being created with the
knowledge of the source, so it would be hard to say
that the source "wanted" to send it.

-David Barak
-Fully RFC 1925 Compliant-