nanog mailing list archives

Re: Possibly yet another MS mail worm

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:59:16 -0500

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:35:05 PST, Henry Linneweh <hrlinneweh () sbcglobal net>  said:

Everyday there is a new, news article on this and every day everyone
panics and eeryday some one says tell the government to make a law, it is time
to realize that no law is going to do anything for anyone soon. In the past we
just took care of the problem and we can do the same now by sharing the solutions we
shared then for FREE.

The basic problem is that for the average ISP, requiring the users to have a
clue and to use secure software is financial suicide. <insert obligatory Randy
Bush reference here>.  Until something happens to change the cost/benefit
ratios, we're stuck with it.  Remember that vendor lock-in is an issue - why
should the user spend all the time/money of obtaining new software and learning
how to use it if they're currently not experiencing high amounts of cost/pain?
Many users will write off "I'm only losing 2 or 3 days of work a year due to
virus/worms" and balance that against "Moving to <anything else> would screw
things up for 2 weeks while I relearn and reconfigure", and decide it's not
worth changing...