nanog mailing list archives

Re: New cisco exploit published in the media today

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:50:46 -0500

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:37:29 +0200, Ariel Biener said:

I perfectly understand the need to make public the availability of this
new cracking tool, but I do not understand why there was no mention of
the fact it exploits bugs that are 1.5-3 years old, which would have put
matters in the proper perspective, instead of trying to create commotion
as if some immediate danger was hanging above our enterprise LANs.

Compare the potential eyeball count:

"Exploit for 3 year old hole available"

"Death of Internet Predicted. MPEGs at 11 (10:30 in Newfoundland)".