nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mail to postmaster

From: Roland Perry <nanog () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:07:03 +0000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0403261546130.31032-100000 () adibox knet ca>, Adi Linden <adil () adis on ca> writes
These days we're still at about 2000 postmaster emails per day. Anyone has
any sensible ideas of how to process mail to postmaster so only relevant
stuff is forwarded to a human being?

That's about the same number as I get spam emails to all my email addresses combined. I wash them through a Windows (sorry) utility called K9, which classifies them by content, and also some [black|white]list rules, and has a reader that allows you to cycle through the stored emails at a single mouse click. A bit of speed-reading and it's possible to double-check the 50% least-spammy ones in about ten minutes.

It's not absolutely the best software (it tends to systematically over-classify as spam if almost all your received emails are spam), but it helps a lot. http://keir.net/k9.html
--
Roland Perry