nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unplugging spamming PCs

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter.galbavy () knowtion net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:51:49 +0100

Larry Pingree wrote:
Can you suggest another method that would have more accuracy? I think
it's ridiculous that every service on the internet is provided without
any authentication and integrity services, if we allowed anyone to
call from anywhere within the telephone network, you'd have rampant
falsification, which is what we have today.

It is these characteristics that has made the Internet work and grow the way
it has.

You comment about the telephone network; Erm, that's just the way it works
today - the AAA is in the SS7/C7/etc. layer, similar to BGP in IP.

The problem being raised in this thread is too old to solve this way. If
e-mail was regulated from early on, then it may have worked. Now there are
too many ways to get around any regulations proposed.

Anyhow, I don't want my e-mail correspondants vetted and approved by a
(never neutral) third party.

Peter