nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflow/flowscan

From: Per Gregers Bilse <bilse () networksignature com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:29:45 +0100

On Jun 21, 11:10pm, andrew matthews <exstatica () gmail com> wrote:
Anyone ever done some major flowscan stuff?

Flowscan is perl, isn't it?

We tried it once for a while and we had so much traffic our dual zeon
3.06ghz system couldn't keep up. The flows just started getting more

How much traffic do you have?

and more behind... anyone ever succesfully graphed large amounts of
data? If so what kind of systems did you use and what type of
capture/processor layout did you have?

It's much more a question of the software than the hardware.  We use
Athlons (and Opterons if necessary) for architectural reasons (much
better at the mboard level), but that doesn't matter.  A single 3GHz
Intel processor can handle unsampled flow data from up to 10Gbps source
network traffic, but the software has to start with 'int main', not
"#!/usr/bin/perl" or "class virtualServlet" or some such.-)

You can't sample? Sampling is a much more scaleable solution than throwing
hardware at the problem.  A lot of people fear they miss out on important
things if they sample, but unless you need bean counter accuracy you're
fine (ie, 99% accuracy is generally good enough).

Best,

  -- Per