nanog mailing list archives

Re: IT security people sleep well

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:32:45 -0600

Crist Clark wrote:

Anyone from the real world knows that there are real and significant
costs to convert an existing infrucstructure with telnet, the
r-protocols, ftp, and all of their unencrypted, unauthenticated friends
to SSH and SSL secured connections. Yeah, maybe the software licencing
costs are little to nothing, but the administrative overehead of
converting all of your other scripts and software, plus lots and LOTS
of retraining of admin and users can be very expensive or simply
infeasible.

NTM all that legacy hardware for which the vendor simply never released an SSH-capable version. And lots of deployed CPE which lacks sufficient flash space to load an SSH-capable version where one was released.

I can think of a hundred cases where there's a definite measurable hardware upgrade cost associated with enabling SSH and the like.

Internally, our policy is to establish telnet connections from the closest upstream point possible, in most cases, the other side of a serial interface where our biggest possible cleartext exposure is gremlins at the CO.