nanog mailing list archives

Re: Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

From: "Jeff Shultz" <jeffshultz () wvi com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:13:52 -0700

** Reply to message from Michael.Dillon () radianz com on Fri, 25 Jun 2004
17:12:45 +0100

Remember, that packet switched networking
originated with the desire to build a telecom
network that could survive massive destruction
on the scale of a nuclear war, but continue to
function. If we apply that kind of thinking to
planning network deployment then there should be
little extra risk from terrorist knowing where
the vulnerable points are. Spread the risk
by spreading the vulnerable points.

I thought the old "nuclear survivable" argument was killed off years
ago - I seem to rember it being refuted in "Where Wizards Stay Up Late."

Packet switched networking originated with a desire to see if it would
work....

And you are welcome to assume the expense of spreading the vulnerable
points.

--
Jeff Shultz
A railfan pulls up to a RR crossing hoping that