nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regional differences in P2P

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:23:16 -0700

It is all very interesting. Why we did not have such research reported on
last NANOG meeting?

also our grad student thomas studying p2p traffic tells me
that there is no sense of localization in most (if not all)
p2p networks; so i am more likely to download a movie from an
Interesting. Are there any p2P systems which optimize traffic by localizyng
it, when possible?

(advertised as) ethernet user in Asia than from downloading
from an (advertised as) DSL user next door.  and my understanding
it that's all based on how the user configures their p2p
servent, it's not like the network figures out the available
bandwidth to potential remote clients.  that's a pretty loose
definition of intelligence, believing everything you hear from
an end host :)

per seandonelan's reference, yes caida will have 2 papers
on p2p traffic analysis by the end of the year, titles
'is p2p traffic dying or just hiding?' [take a guess]
and 'transport layer identification of p2p traffic'.
check caida web site in october.

but neither study touches on the regional differences, i
suspect it's a function of the relative popularity, ease-of-use,
and type-of-content-served of certain applications in each place.
i lend less weight to the differences than the similarities.
killer app, indeed.