nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regional differences in P2P

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:59:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Florian Weimer wrote:

Private FTP sites seem to be more common among those who trade
unlicensed, copyrighted material for profit.  This is clearly
criminal.  Certainly this isn't what your average P2P user is doing.

Has anyone ever done a money trail investigation regarding this? The only
people I ever thought was making money off of copyrighted material was the
people selling "warez CDs" in the small ads in the paper, and that was 5-8
ago. Back then it was quite common for people to pay to get a CDR with
stuff, I haven't heard about that in a long time now.

I would believe that most of the money now being made is from counterfit
software where people put up basically a whole organisation with printing
presses for manuals, real CD/DVD pressing equipment and perhaps even the
holographic mark, and shrinkwrap it all and sell it as the real thing.

That has very little to do with p2p, though. I am not aware of any money
changing hands in p2p.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se