nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: xDSL hardware

From: "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris () westnet com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:55:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Charles Sprickman wrote:

I'm wondering if there are any ISPs here that are Covad partners that have
found a need to terminate a DSL line alongside a T1 for backup.

Yes. Not doing it currently, but when we did we used a FlowPoint 2200 in
routed mode into the second ethernet port on a 2e/1serial 25xx. , with a /30
between the FP and the Cisco.

Is anyone aware of a WIC card that will work with the lower end Cisco gear
(1700 or 2600 series) that will allow me to terminate an ADSL or
preferably an SDSL line directly on the router?  The idea being that the
router is then aware of link up/down status...

Covad business class is SDSL. But - if the DSL line is backup to the T1,
does the router 'need' to know that the DSL line is down ? I believe we just
used weighted static routes. If the T1 was up use that, otherwise use the
DSL. If both are down -- it won't really matter, will it ? :-) (Unless you
are relying on SNMP monitoring from this router internally for an alarm).

Chris Candreva  -- chris () westnet com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/