nanog mailing list archives

Re: "it appears a beaver picked it up and chewed it in half"

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:48:46 -0500 (CDT)

From owner-nanog () merit edu  Thu Jul  8 23:42:27 2004
From: "Scot Bryhan" <dsbryhan () chartermi net>
To: <nanog () merit edu>
Subject: "it appears a beaver picked it up and chewed it in half"
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:38:50 -0400

Scot,

  Here's what we received from the Assocaited Press.

--
Kendall P. Stanley
Managing editor

By JOHN FLESHER
Associated Press Writer
    TRAVERSE CITY, Mich.  _ Northeastern Michigan had a problem to chew
on:
Long-distance phone service was interrupted for more than six hours after
beaver apparently gnawed through a fiber optic cable.

"In my 33 years with the company I've never heard of this happening," said
John VanWyck, spokesman for Verizon Communications. "I've heard of
squirrels
chewing aerial cable, but not this."

John apparently leads a rather sheltered life.  <grin>

Northwestern University, in Evanston, IL, has a substantial squirrel population
on/near the campus.  One which apparently does _not_ 'learn from experience',
I might add.  All the campus utilities are underground, including the (dual,
redundant, diversely routed) main feeds from the local electric utility.
At about 2 year intervals, the livestock manages to find a way into one or
the other of the electric feed tunnels.  'whatever it is' that the cable
manufacturers use to insulate high-voltage high-ampacity wiring with, the
local squirrel population finds it to be irresistable.  "Pretty soon there
was a 'squirrel boom'", and all the 'non-critical' stuff on half the campus
goes dark.

Note: the 'squirrel boom' is rather impressive -- sounds like the big
brother of an M-80 firecracker/simulated morter round.  The fault does
tend to be self-clearing -- the only physical evidence of the perpetrator
is a grease stain for several feet surrounding. plus a distinctive stink.