nanog mailing list archives

RE: 802.17 RPR and L2 Ethernet interoperablity (Ethernet over RPR)

From: Sam Stickland <sam_ml () spacething org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:17:54 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Sam Stickland wrote:

One question about this, the Q-in-Q tunnelling would have to take place on
the switch connected to the ring - what happens if the packet has already
been placed in a dot1Q tunnel? I haven't really worked much with dot1Q
tunneling - are their any know problems with extra tags? (aside from MTU
issues, but I imagine most rings will support at least 9bytes)

Most switches will only see the outer tag and will thus be transparent for
Q-in-Q:ed packets.

That was my worry - the definition of most. 99% of switches or 60%? This
isn't actually a standard is it, so I presume this behaviour is expected,
but not required?

Sam