nanog mailing list archives

RE: concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

From: "Mark Borchers" <mborchers () igillc com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:31:26 -0500

Thanks. Precisely the issue. Being humans involved in this, there is a
tendency to sometimes hack around a problem and then leave it in
place. I know I am susceptible to this and have to be on guard against
this mentality at all times. And I've seen plenty of this in
various orgs.
The key here is to maintain an engineering discipline and be
on constant
guard against 'just this once' kind of thought. There should be no
negotiations
with yourself.

Even the best of intentions lead to massive entropy when
doing hacks around
issues.

Temporary fixes aren't.

/vijay

Setting aside the issue of abandoning media after you stop
using it, a cable run based on a handshake between two tenants
in a telco hotel CAN lead to nightmares when it goes down.
On the other hand, if you figure out a way to document it, and
have field support lined up, it may turn out to be more easily
restored than an "official" interconnect.  :-)