nanog mailing list archives

RE: Announcing a /19 from a /16

From: "Michael Hallgren" <m.hallgren () free fr>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:50:30 +0200

Hi-

I'm working on a project within a large corporation and asked
their network folks about getting a /19 from one of their
/16s.  I wanted it to avoid NAT and any possible overlapping
from using RFC1918 addresses.  This project gets connected to
the internet at different times throughout the year at
different locations through different ISPs.  I would announce
the /19 for a short period of time, maybe a month or so.

The response I got back was that this was impossible since
ISPs require an announcement of the /16 the /19 would come
from.

Maybe one of the (fairly rare, from what I see) actors that
ingress filter
(or takes into account those small few that does) by

strict

allocation

border

? (What
prefixes are yopu talking about?)

mh

;)

mh

I have done work with ISPs before (and have read the
NANOG list for many years) but haven't heard of such a
requirement nor can I find any standards that indicate the
same thing.

Does anyone have requirements of a /19 announcement requires
the /16 to be there as well?  The company has plenty of /16s
that it uses internally that are not being announced on the
Internet at all.

Thanks-

-Eric