nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIsco 7206VXR w/NPE-G1 Question

From: "Rubens Kuhl Jr." <rubens () email com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:02:50 -0200

No.  While I was at my former employer, we took our edge
ACL into the Juniper POC lab, and verified that an M40
stuffed full of OC48 linecards could sustain just over
85% of line rate with our edge ACL applied before sustaining
packet loss; the POC lab engineers double checked and
verified that there was nothing wrong with the test, that
was simply the most the IPII processors could handle with
that particularly hairy ACL.

Was that in the limits of the FPC ? It seems it does, just checking out.
Was this a test with smallest possible packets ? Do you remember aggregate
pps being routed ? It seems you could hit some of the real IP2 pps limits
with ACLs, which is definitively not 40 Mpps. In one test I saw it hitted
top at 12.5 Mpps, but it may be due to hitting FPC limits. Other people
tests showed something in the 20-25 Mpps range.

Rubens