nanog mailing list archives

Re: in case nobody else noticed it, there was a mail worm released today

From: Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:43:02 -0800

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:37:09PM -0800, marquis () roble com said:

Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net> wrote:
I've been wondering lately, after about 10 years of email worms spreading in
exactly the same manner with every incarnation ... why do you think people
haven't learned not to open unexpected attachments yet?

Blaming it on end users is one way to look at the problem, but not
a way that will result in a solution.

You should be wondering, after 10+ years of virus laden MS operating
systems, why they haven't fixed this stuff.  Similar vulnerabilities
in Unix, Mac, and other OS were fixed long ago.
[snip]

this is actually what I was driving at, but I've had so MANY anti-MS rants
over the last few years, I thought I'd take a different tack. :)

(Note: I really do not want this to degenerate into another rant against
vendor M;

Sorry for not sharing your disinterest in the actual reasons we
continue to see these viruses and trojans infecting MS and, for all
intents and purposes, only MS operating systems.

oh, I share your position, believe me! It just seems that efforts to force
MS to change have had little effect, and I was hoping that maybe if we
attacked the issue from another angle, it might be productive. :)
--
       Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
"I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way