nanog mailing list archives

Re: Don't Panic II (Re: updated root hints file)

From: bill <bmanning () vacation karoshi com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:13:43 -0800

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 08:40:52PM -0800, Donovan Hill wrote:
On Wednesday 28 January 2004 07:19 pm, bill wrote:

    "B" will continue to answer on -BOTH- addresses for at least
    24 months. Even so, we encourage ISPs and DNS admins to make
    the changes at their earliest opportunity.  That will leave the
    "tail" to clean up after those folks who may not be avid NANOG
    readers. :)  Questions?

I wonder how many systems will _still_ be trying to get to b.root-servers.net
at the old address in 5 or even 10 years.

--
Donovan Hill

        bets are being taken.  in 1996/7, we changed the default TTL
        in the hints file to two weeks.  today there are still systems
        that query for b.isi, predating the creation of the TLD structure
        as we know it now.

--bill