nanog mailing list archives

Re: GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

From: "Rubens Kuhl Jr." <rubens () email com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:23:30 -0200

    I'm faced with a difficult decision.  I work for a large multi-node
regional ISP (and Cisco shop).  In our largest nodes we've found the Cisco
7500 series routers to be at the end of their useful life due to the
throughput generated by POS OC-3 feeds and 10,000+ broadband users whose
traffic needs to be moved out of the node.  Short of building a farm of
7500's the need to upgrade seems clear.

Will the interfaces likely continue to be POS OC-3 ? What is the growing
path for this: POS OC-12, GigE ?

    But where to go?  The Cisco GSR platform seems a logical choice, but
their new 7600 series units are attractive for their cost.  Juniper may
also
have a place at this end of the processing spectrum.  I'd also like to
ensure that the new platform supports doing CAR and ACLs at line rate,
given
the client base.

The GSR line-cards to what you want would need to be the "edge" ones, based
on either Engine 3 or Engine 4+.
7600 requires WAN cards to support POS, I think GSR and Juniper M are more
likely candidates for this design.

Rubens