nanog mailing list archives

Re: sniffer/promisc detector

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:32:59 -0800

I saw such scanners 6 years ago (amazingly, they could not determine very
old OS and very oold services...).
But, just again, no one use it in automated scans over the  Internet. As I
was saying, port camuphlaging works as a very first line of defense - it
cuts 99% of all attacks and akllow you to deal with the rest 1%.

I'll measure time tomorrow... Such tools are usually very slow (and lost
20 - 50% of all packets, so to have a reliable result, you must scan host
2 - 4 times).