nanog mailing list archives

Re: New IPv4 Allocation to ARIN

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:39:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 matt () petach org wrote:

Of course, if they tried to run the test *before* assigning the
block, it should fail, because it should still be in everyone's
bogon filters.  ^_^

So before assigning a block, mark it as "Pending assignment" or "Assigned
to IANA".

their bogon filters.  It would also require that the RIR
to whom the block has been assigned arrange with their
upstream to have the test block routed;

That's trivial.

perhaps they could use the top block from the new assignment for the
test subnet, and then begin assigning from the bottom; hopefully by the
time any substantial portion of the space has been allocated, the need
for the test subnet will have passed, and the block can be used as part

Unfortunately, I doubt that.  ARIN's been assigning from 69/8 for a year
or more and there are still lots of networks filtering it.  If RIR's were
to setup such testing sites, it'd probably make sense to simply reserve
the minimum allocation size block from each IANA assigned block and assume
it will be used for reachability testing pretty much indefinitely.  Maybe
they could be recycled after a number of years.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |