nanog mailing list archives

RE: Stopping open proxies and open relays

From: "Vivien M." <vivienm () dyndns org>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:57:52 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Adi Linden [mailto:adil () adis on ca]
Sent: February 7, 2004 12:54 AM
To: Vivien M.
Cc: 'Michel Py'; nanog () merit edu
Subject: RE: Stopping open proxies and open relays

If stricter laws on computers forced even 50% of people to start
caring a little more, wouldn't that be progress? The day a
couple of
grandmothers get taken away in handcuffs because a script
kiddie took
up residence in her computer is the day a few people will
wake up to
the fact that computers need regular maintenance...

The the script kiddie gets taken away in handcuffs and lined
up for the
electric chair is when we see progress. I think you're confusing the
criminal and the victim!

I have no objection to the electric chair for script kiddies, but tracing
them seems to be somewhat challenging sometimes. Identifying people who
don't maintain their computers is usually easier :)

And no, I'm not confusing the criminal and the victim. If you leave a loaded
handgun on your front porch and I come along and take it, then shoot your
neighbour's kid with it, then I would expect both you and I to be prosecuted
(though not for the same crime, of course).

Vivien
--
Vivien M.
vivienm () dyndns org